The NEC Society is proud to present a series of educational webinars for parents and clinicians on the use of probiotics in the NICU.
Register now for the May 6 probiotics webinar!
Join us on Monday, May 6 at 12pmET for our third webinar on probiotics: Probiotics in the NICU: Considerations Before Routine Use. Click here to register.
The 60-minute May 6 webinar will cover:
1. Are we moving too fast on probiotics? Efficacy, safety, and other considerations.
2. Regulation of probiotics: dietary supplement or live biotherapeutic product.
3. Probiotics: Is consent necessary?
4. How can we empower and inform families about probiotics?
5. Additional opportunities for shared learning about probiotics with the NEC Society.
We are excited to have two guest faculty participate in this webinar. Adam M. Masin will be speaking on consent with the use of probiotics. He is a Partner at Shipman & Goodwin LLP and represents leading health care institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and medical device manufactures in litigation involving the alleged health risks of medical products.
Jae Kim, MD, PhD, will discuss whether we are moving too fast with probiotic use. He is a Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the University of California, San Diego with dual appointments in the Divisions of Neonatology and Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. His special areas of clinical and research interests include neonatal nutrition, neonatal bowel injury, bedside ultrasound, and resuscitation.
The May 6 webinar will also include continued participation by core faculty, including Jennifer Canvasser, MSW, founder and director of the NEC Society; Mark Underwood, MD, MAS, Professor of Pediatrics and Chief, Division of Neonatology, UC Davis School of Medicine; Ravi M Patel, MD, MSc, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Emory University and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. Participants will have the opportunity to chat in their questions and engage in discussion. Join us!
The slides, recording, and resources from the NEC Society’s probiotic webinars are available:
- Probiotics Webinar #1 (Feb. 25) Slides
- Probiotics Webinar #1 Recording
- Probiotics Webinar #2 (March 11) Slides
- Probiotics Webinar #2 Recording
- Probiotics Webinar Resources:
- Registration for the NEC Symposium
- Publication: Roles and Experiences of Parents in Necrotizing Enterocolitis
- Publication: Enhancing NICU parent engagement and empowerment
- Video: NEC Prevention through Collaboration
- 1-page info. sheet for parents on probiotics, human milk, and NEC
- Infographic: Parents as Care Partners
- 10 Things All Parents in the NICU Need to Know
- NEC Society Connects: virtual support community for patient-families impacted by NEC
Please note, this is an educational webinar series. The NEC Society and invited speakers are not marketing any probiotic products, which are not currently FDA approved for the prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis or other neonatal diseases.
Please contact Jennifer@NECsociety.org with any questions.