World NEC Awareness Day is May 17.
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a devastating intestinal disease that affects vulnerable infants during their first weeks and months of life. Up to 30% of the babies who develop NEC will die, and survivors often face life-long health challenges. Yet, few people outside of the NICU have even heard of the disease.
Throughout May, we will elevate the conversation around NEC and expose the scars, the trauma, and the stillness that come after a NEC diagnosis. Our goal is to empower families and stakeholders to join the international community that’s working to build a world without NEC.
Necrotizing enterocolitis causes overwhelming pain to patient-families & all who care for them. The physical, social-emotional, and psychological pain from NEC can be devastating. The NEC Society works tirelessly to collectively transform our pain into a powerful movement.
The pain caused by NEC often stays with us for a lifetime. While we cannot lessen or erase the pain, we can harness the power of our heartache and transform it into the energy that drives our mission.
In honor of #NECday on May 17, please show us how NEC has impacted your life and consider making a donation to support the NEC Society’s work. Tag us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Linkedin, and use the hashtags: #preventNEC #NECday
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Make a tax-deductible donation to the NEC Society
- Watch our May 17 video
- Celebrate the California Resolutions declaring May 17 NEC Awareness Day
- Host a walk in your community (email Julia@NECsociety.org)
- Start a personalized fundraising page (email Julia@NECsociety.org)
- Share your story with your local newspaper
- Wear green and blue, the official colors of NEC awareness (green for the digestive system and blue for healing and peace)
- Order your NEC gear by shopping at the NEC Society’s online store
- Ask your community leaders to light up your town in blue & green
- Reach out to your legislators and decision-makers to raise awareness about NEC: you can use this tool to easily send letters to your elected officials
- Print and share our 8.5 x 11 NEC Awareness Day poster:
Want to do even more?
- Watch our videos: NEC is a Mystery. Help us solve it.
- Share our What is NEC? info sheet
- Read and share our info card, 10 Things to Know When Your Baby is Diagnosed with NEC
- Listen to our NEC podcast with the NANNcast
- Join our email list
- Subscribe to our blog and YouTube channel
- If you’re on Facebook, follow us
- Tag the NEC Society in your photos on social media
- Share your story with the NEC Society
- Create a Facebook fundraiser by clicking “Raise Money” here!
- Follow the @NECsociety on Twitter
- Check out our webinars
- Visit our FAQ page to learn more
Do you have more ideas or suggestions on how the NEC Society can better serve our community? You can email Leslie@NECsociety.org! We’d love to hear from you!