Nonprofit organizations from around the world are uniting to declare May 17th NEC Awareness Day. This international day will elevate the conversation around this devastating disease.
NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) is a leading cause of death for premature and medically fragile babies. 10-50% of babies who get NEC will die, and survivors often face life-long health challenges. Yet few people have even heard of it.
What you can do on May 17, NEC Awareness Day:
- If you or someone you love has been affected by NEC, share your story with family and friends. Consider reaching out to your local newspaper or media and asking them to feature your story in an effort to raise awareness on this devastating disease.
- Wear blue and green, the official colors of the day.
- Share our posts on social media. Use the hashtags #NECday and #preventNEC
- Use our NEC Awareness Day frame on your Facebook profile photo. Just go to https://www.facebook.com/profilepicframes and search for “NEC Awareness Day”.
- Return to this page on NEC Awareness Day, May 17, for the premiere of our short video about NEC. It will also be available on Facebook .
- Consider honoring someone you love with a Tree of Courage canvas print or note card. All proceeds go directly to the NEC Society!
- If you are still in touch with your local NICU, let them know about your involvement with the NEC Society. Invite them to check out the NEC Society’s educational materials to their families.
- Learn about NEC prevention, breastmilk, and nutrition during our “Ask the Expert” event happening over on our Inspire Community page, a site to connect with others about NEC. The event runs May 14-18, 2018.
- Join our email list by clicking here.
- Subscribe to our blog and YouTube channel so you receive notifications when we post new material!
- Consider making a financial contribution. We rely on your support to fund our work. Even a small donation makes a big difference! You can donate here.
- Consider creating a Facebook fundraiser by clicking “Raise Money” here!
- Read and share the NEC Facts below (click to enlarge).
Clinicians and investigators looking to get involved in #NECday can also consider:
- Joining our NEC Society Research Collaborative (Interested? email Jennifer)
- Checking out the February 2018 open-access issue of Seminars in Pediatric Surgery
- Reading our 2017 NEC Symposium Executive Summary
- Following @NECsociety on Twitter
Thank you to everyone who has made NEC Awareness Day possible! We would love to hear your ideas for how to make this day even bigger and better in the future- please email us with your suggestions: Jennifer@NECsociety.org